Jesse Moore: Artist Manager

Saturday, April 16, 2011
For This weeks blog post I decided to contact a friend of mine Jesse Moore who graduated from Full Sail University not too long ago. He is now the manager for an up and coming band Called Stockholm. I asked Jesse some questions that I had that would help me if I wanted to become an artist manager. I had a phone interview with him and this is everything that he had to say.

Q: What made you want to become an artist manager?

A: It’s really the music scene that motivated me to be an artist manager. I’m really not talented when it comes to music. So the best way to be apart of the industry for me was taking up the business side.

Q: Do you go after the artist that you enjoy listening too? Like would you manage a country singer if you didn't like country?

A: Yes I do prefer to manage bands that I enjoy listening to. I have to know this band inside and out. If I don’t enjoy what I’m listening too I wouldn’t exactly enjoy my job.

Q: Do you have a breaking price? If a country band gave you enough money would you manage them?

A: Well I guess you can put a price on about anything. If it was a big name country artist and I was going to be paid out the nose then I guess I would manage a country band.

Q: What stress you out the most about this job?

A: You must have a very open line of communication with the band that you are managing. Most music guys are big into the party scene. It’s very stressful when a no one answers their phone and you know they were drinking the night before.
Independent bands that are used to producing themselves are also a hassle. They want a manager but then try to manage themselves.

Q: Whats your favorite genre of music?

A: I like Hardcore and Metal music.

Q: What are your main responsibilities as an artist manager?

A: My main responsibilities with Stockholm are Promotions, Organizing and Booking. Once they become a bit bigger we will then hire a booking agent. I organize their recordings and all promotions from posters to face book to music videos.

Q: Do you have any tips for a starting artist manager?

A: Start out only managing band. Its a lot more work then you think. Problems come up that you wont expect and it’s a bit easier to manage 5 guys then 10. Once you learn the ropes with one band then maybe you will be ready to manage multiple bands. Always have a plan B no matter what situation is. And Keep an Open line of communication between you and the artist. Make sure that you are able to talk to them every day. If you lose track of them things will go down hill from there.


This whole conversation was done on the phone while I was taking notes. Everything written is a summary of what Jesse said. Very little is directly quoting Jesse. I hope you enjoyed reading my latest post!

Follow me on twitter!
http://twitter.com/#!/GetRyanSheehy

0 comments:

Post a Comment